Digital Music - Certificate of Proficiency
This Certificate is designed to provide a foundation in digital music production for students with backgrounds in music, music technology, and/or multimedia design. The curriculum is based on recent advancements in the development of digital music systems and their widespread applications in both music and multimedia productions.
The program provides students with hand-on experience and a working knowledge of the creative and technical issues surrounding the production of digital audio content and its application and synchronization within other media.
The certificate prepares students for career opportunities, professional development, and personal enrichment in the fields of digital music production and distribution, multimedia audio design, and music multimedia software design.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to operate the MIDI and audio functions of a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW).
- Students will will be able to construct an original piece of music using a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW).
- Students will be able to apply music theory and knowledge of significant pieces of various genre to the creative process.
Meet the Following Requirements
- Complete all required certificate courses with a C (or P) or better.
- Complete at least 1/3 of the program courses at Mission College to establish residency.
- Requirements here apply to the current catalog year and are subject to change. Visit DegreeWorks in My Mission Portal to view requirements based your catalog year.
- Not all classes are offered each semester.
Required Core Courses
|MUS 006||Commercial Music Theory I (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|MUS 016||Survey of Rock and Popular Music (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|MUS 080||MIDI and Music Production I (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|MUS 081||Audio Production I (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|MUS 082||MIDI and Music Production II (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|MUS 083||Audio Production II (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|Total Required Units||18.0|
Career opportunities include the following: music producer, recording engineer/mixer, assistant engineer, production assistant, studio manager/owner, sound technician, acoustic consultant, audio engineer for video, digital remastering engineer, live sound engineer, recording equipment manufacturer’s representative, customer service, mastering engineer (post-production engineer), interactive and mixed media specialist, recording mixer (film and video), record company staff, recording room setup worker, studio designer, studio technician/maintenance, music editor, music/ sound programmer, sound designer, DJ/remixer, and audio developer.