Nursing Assistant - Certificate of Proficiency
The Nursing Assistant Certificate of Proficiency prepares students for entry-level employment in the healthcare field. Nursing Assistants provide direct care to patients in residential, skilled nursing and hospice care facilities under the supervision of a licensed nurse. Completion of the Nursing Assistant courses provides eligibility for the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP) examination for the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA).
HEALTH OCCUPATIONS PROGRAM ACCEPTANCE POLICY: Due to requirements from the California Department of Public Health, acceptance into the Nursing Assistant program will be dependent on the following:
Nursing Assistant Program Acceptance
- Attendance at an information session (dates will be posted online)
- Completion of the College Placement Exam (assesses English, reading, and math)
- Submission of an application for the CNA program by the specified deadline. Applications are available online at nursing.missioncollege.edu
- It is recommended that students have completed HOC 001 prior to applying for this program.
For any questions regarding non-acceptance into a program, please contact a counselor for an educational plan.
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Students will use the language of the profession of nursing to communicate appropriately using verbal, written and technological methods.
- Students will analyze relevant information in the utilization of the nursing process, applying principles of evidence-based practice as needed.
- Students will identify personal and professional growth through retrospection of nursing care.
- Students will complete all requirements for eligibility to apply for the Nursing Assistant Certification and pass the state examination.
To earn this certificate, students must meet the following requirements with a C (or P) or better.
- Requirements here apply to the current catalog year and are subject to change. Visit DegreeWorks in My Mission Portal to view requirements based your catalog year.
- Not all classes are offered each semester.
Required Core Curriculumn Courses:
|Total Required Units||6.0|
The Certified Nursing Assistant is a member of the health care team who works under the LVN, RN or Physician. Employment opportunities for the Nursing Assistant include long-term care facilities, private duty, assisted living, adult day care facilities, pediatric sub-acute and mental health facilities. Home health aides work primarily in homes and as a visiting care provider (ie: hospice care or public health aide).