Associate in Science in Computer Information Systems (CIS)
The Associate in Science in Computer Information System is designed to provide students with knowledge and skills required for a variety of positions in the field of computer information technology. The program includes foundation courses in computer information systems and a wide range of skill-builder courses in current topics of technology.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Completion of 60 degree applicable units with an overall GPA of 2.0.
- Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in the major with a grade of C (or P) or better.
- Completion of the AS Graduation Requirements, CSU GE-B or IGETC.
Meet the Following Requirements
a. Completion of 60 degree applicable units with an overall GPA of 2.0.
b. Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in the major with a grade of C (or P) or better.
c. Completion of the Associate in Science graduation requirements.
- Requirements here apply to the current catalog year and are subject to change. Visit DegreeWorks in My Mission Portal to view requirements based your catalog year.
- Not all classes are offered each semester.
Required Core Courses
Plus two or more additional courses from the following (at least 8.0 units with a minimum of 6.0 units of CIS courses and maximum of 2.0 units of work experience):
|CIS 008||Advanced Python Programming (3.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||4.0|
|CIS 033||Robotics and Embedded System (3.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||4.0|
|CIS 037A||Introduction to C Programming (3.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||4.0|
|CIS 039||Introduction to Computer Systems and Assembly Language (3.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||4.0|
|CIS 040||C++ Programming (3.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||4.0|
|CIS 045||Linux Essentials I (3.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||4.0|
|CIS 047||Linux System Administration (3.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||4.0|
|CIS 051||Introduction to Data Analysis (3.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||4.0|
|CIS 055||Database Management Systems I (2.5 Lecture/0.5 Lab)||3.0|
|CIS 056||Database Management Systems II (2.5 Lecture/0.5 Lab)||3.0|
|CIS 063||Mobile Apps Programming - Android (3.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||4.0|
|WRK 300GW||Work Experience||1.0-2.0|
Required Units for the Major
|Required unts for the major||20.0-22.0|
|plus completion of general education requirements
and electives as needed to reach 60 units.
|Total required units||60.0|
- Math skills.
- Computer and technology skills.
- Curiosity and creativity.
- Stickler to detail.
- Anticipate and diagnose problems.
- Systematic approach to problem solving.
Select Jobs in the Field
- Software Developer
- Cybersecurity Analyst
- UX, Web, Mobile Apps, or Game Designer
- Database Administrator
- Cloud Engineer
- Data Scientist
- IT Project Manager
- Systems Analyst
- Machine Learning Engineer