Master Teacher Certificate

Child Development: Master Teacher Certificate

Register via Mission Portal

The Certificate of Achievement: Master Teacher is an academic and vocational training program that prepares students for future work as early childhood educators in diverse early childhood settings.

The program is designed to prepare students to enter the workforce prepared with skills necessary to effectively work in the field.

Courses meet entry level requirements and/or meet the requirements needed to obtain a California Child Development Permit. The program is designed to prepare students with coursework as required by California licensing policies.

Course completion with practicum experience can lead to a California Child Development Permit and employment.

Coursework may apply toward lower division preparation requirements for students interested in transferring to a four-year college or university. Please see a counselor for more information.

Program Learning Outcomes

  • Students will complete appropriate preparation for the Master Teacher Child Development Permit from the State of California.
  • Students will demonstrate specialized curriculum for the early childhood education classroom.
  • Students will identify and explain health, safety and nutritional needs of children in early childhood programs.

Meet the Following Requirements

  1. Complete all required certificate courses with a C (or P) or better.
  2. Complete at least 1/3 of the program courses at Mission College to establish residency.

Please Note
  • Requirements here apply to the current catalog year and are subject to change. Visit DegreeWorks in My Mission Portal to view requirements based your catalog year.
  • Not all classes are offered each semester.

Required Core Courses
Code Class Units
CHD 001 Child Growth and Development (3.0 Lecture) 3.0
CHD 002 Child, Family, and Community (3.0 Lecture) 3.0
CHD 003 Language and Literacy for the Young Child (3.0 Lecture) 3.0
CHD 004 Cognitive Experiences for Children (3.0 Lecture) 3.0
CHD 008A Practicum A (1.5 Lecture/2.0 Lab) 3.5
CHD 010 Principles and Practices in Education (3.0 Lecture) 3.0
CHD 015 Observation and Assessment of Children (3.0 Lecture) 3.0
CHD 017 Child Health and Safety (3.0 Lecture) 3.0
CHD 022 Adult Supervision in Early Childhood Programs (2.0 Lecture) 2.0
CHD 026 Introduction to Curriculum (3.0 Lecture) 3.0
Note: CHD 001, 002, 010, 015 and 026 are prerequisites for CHD 008A

Plus Two (2) of the Following
Code Class Units
CHD 005 Music and Movement (3.0 Lecture) 3.0
CHD 006 Supervision and Administration (3.0 Lecture) 3.0
CHD 007 Management Issues in Child Development Programs (3.0 Lecture) 3.0
CHD 013 Teaching in a Diverse Society (3.0 Lecture) 3.0
CHD 014 Art and Creative Development of Young Children (3.0 Lecture) 3.0
CHD 016 Infant and Toddler Development (3.0 Lecture) 3.0
CHD 020 The Child with Special Needs in the Community (3.0 Lecture) 3.0
CHD 021 Children and Play (3.0 Lecture) 3.0
CHD 024 Positive Guidance in Early Childhood Programs: Managing Challenging Behaviors (3.0 Lecture) 3.0
CHD 025 Inclusion Stategies and Curriculum in Early Childhood Education (3.0 Lecture) 3.0

Required Units for the Major

Required Units for the Major 35.5

Career/Transfer Opportunities
Career Outlook
Skills Needed
  • Strong written and oral communication
  • Teamwork
  • Problem solving
  • Decision-making skills
  • Compassion and empathy
  • Organization skills
  • Creative thinking
  • Planning and instruction abilities
  • Ability to lead
  • Classroom management
  • Physical stamina
Career Paths

If you don't know what to major in, or you already have a major but don't know how it translates into a career, start here. At Mission we can help you research your major and career options so you can make informed decisions.Read more about career paths.

Select Jobs in the Field
  • Lead Teacher
  • Child Life Specialist
  • Special Education Paraprofessional
  • Program Director
  • Site Supervisor
  • Parent Educator
  • Social Worker
  • Child Psychologist
  • Early Childhood Educator
  • Preschool Teacher
  • Case Manager
  • Childcare Provider
  • Nanny or Au Pair